We’d had the third DNF on one of our caches on Monday. Even though it is a cache that does have a tendancy to migrate seasonally as the vegetation changes, we though that three in a row was a bit much, and it was probably gone.
It was a lovely bright sunny day, so when PB got home from work we decided a little maintenance run was in order, as we’d had another cache in that direction to check a few things on also.
So off we went to our ‘lost’ cache – replacement in hand – as surely it was gone. But no, no, no there it was, a mere metre or two from where it should be. It was a tad damp, so we sat it in the sun to dry out and busied ourselves with other things – PB lookingfor a new spot and taking co-ords, and I with playing around with the camera (seem to be doing that a lot lately for some reason……)
Not so 'lost' cache.
This is one of the shots that I got – no special effect involved at all – it’s just what the light was doing shimmering off the river and through the leaves of all the trees around.
Once everything was dried out a bit, I re-bagged the log book, and we settled the cache in its new spot – tucked under a particular branch this time, so hopefully easier for people to replace in the correct spot.
We carried on our way, past an old disused garage where some even older cars are parked up. So of course that was a chance for a photo stop as well! If it wasn’t mind-bogglingly hot standing out on the asphalt, I would have tried a few more angles too.
We tried to check on another which is a multi/puzzle, but couldn’t check the final due to maintenance crews in the area, so that will be another trip. And when we got to the WP, there was that worrying look of slashed vegetation. Yes the trees near the sign had been trimmed, but the container was still safely tucked away in its place behind the sign.
There’s another cache that we’ve had a few issues with – the kind where the cache owner goes ‘It’s a difficulty 3, terrain 5 multi. Of course you’re going to have to do a bit of work!!!!!’ when cachers claim that it’s not there. Over its life span thus far, very experienced and not so experienced cachers have claimed that each & every part of it was definitely missing at various times– and when we, upon investigation, have found that said ‘bit’ is definitely NOT missing. So we’re a bit sceptical when logs say that part of it is missing. But this time – they were right!!! So the last laugh is on us. We need an horrible little film canister to fix it too – do you know how impossible they are to get these days!!!?
A is for Annie
Maybe there is a WP or two in this picture?
So we trotted off to PB’s mum’s – to drop in her copy of Dogs that Blog: the Australian Cattle Dog Edition (which finally arrived!) and to pilfer a film canister that I’d seen lying on her garage bench. I think it probably belongs to PB’s brother – JemNZ, but never mind, all’s fair in love and war when caching is concerned!!!!
We were 2/3rds successful with our mission: calendar dropped off and suitably admired, flower photos – that I’d been trying to get for a couple of days – taken, but film canister filtched – NOPE – we forgot.
Ah well ….. there’s always another day.
And speaking of days – if you need another calendar (and who doesn’t) go here and buy one starring all the most handsome Blue Heelers in the world ….. and not to forget Norwood!!!
Ours arrived yesterday and they are awesome!!
- Dogs That Blog
Enter the code SHADOW for the next two day only and get 15% off!!