Well, that’s done & dusted. New Zealand’s first ever geocaching Mega event.
Around 500 nutty geocachers from NZ, the North Island, Aussie, and a scattering of other places all around the world turned up in Dunedin for a weekend of socialising & cache hunting.
I can’t really show you any photos – apart from these couple, because apparently I was too much otherwise occupied to take any!
We did manage to find 9 caches over the weekend though. YAY!
People are buzzing about the Mega in their logs. Some remember meeting Signal & Geofeet. Some remember the bright yellow tee-shirts. Some will have an abiding recollection of the ‘hill’. Everyone will remember meeting friends old & new, adding to their finds, and experiencing ‘four seasons in one day.’
The organisers did promise a real New Zealand experience after all. ;)
- Catching up with familiar caching friends and getting to know a few new folks.
- Signal & Geofeet and the enthusiasm they put into meeting & greeting and being characters about the place – a BIG thanks to all involved there with making that happen.
- Seeing how cool , cute & how much fun pathtags are after having previously dissed them when finding them in caches. I want some now!!!
- The cool Postcard Travel Bug found at the geocoin table. People have been adding postcards to it as it travels around the world since 2002. Awesome! Of course we will add to it and send it one with its journey.
- People full of excitement & tales of adventure rushing in on Sunday afternoon to get their competition entries in on time.
- Watching Bitsprayer get an ever increasing collection of containers of all shapes & sizes handed to him as the clean-up progressed. I am certain they all went to a good home & will materialised in new homes one day soon. ;)
- The unsung heroes who cleaned, cleaned up, directed traffic and diligently did little jobs under the radar.
- Seeing hubby line up in a queue to sign a cache. A novel experience, but one we will try not to repeat.
- Watching hubby experience the ‘four seasons in one hour’ directing traffic on Friday afternoon. Someone give that man a (ginger) beer!!
So, now that I am back, I hope to update on some trips we’ve done over the last 18 months or so. There hasn’t been too much caching going on since last February, but I plan for that to be changing soon. :)